More on Terry McGgirth

Yesterday I wrote about the case of Yeadon Borough Councilman Terry McGirth.

Or I suppose I should refer to him as former Councilman Terry McGirth. A Delaware County judge ruled he must be removed from office because of an old felony conviction in his past.

I wrote that I wondered about such a ruling, and what it tells us about the idea of rehabilitation, the notion of justice and offering people a second chance.

Today, my colleague Gil Spencer weighs in on the matter. In talking to Gil yesterday morning, I will admit he made a point I had not considered.

One reason for having such a law is because it is not outside the realm of possibility that voters would routinely return popular crooks to office.

Exhibit A would be one Vince Fumo. Gil correctly theorizes that there’s little doubt the people of his South Philly turf would return Fumo to his seat in Harrisburg if that was a possibility.

I’m still not sure what is happening to McGirth is the right thing to do. Is it justice? Absolutely. Is it just? I’m not so sure.

Comments