Now that's what I call summer

Sometimes Mother Nature is just plain cruel.

I’m not talking about the celestial light show she put on last night, pounding the region with lightning and a veritable deluge.

I’m talking about what preceded it.

We are in the midst of our first serious heat wave of the summer season.
In fact, if you ask me, summer has been anything but this year.

Look, I like it hot, the hotter the better. Humidity? Bring it on. I like the air thick. Those days have been few and far between so far this summer – until this week.

Of course I might get a disagreement from kids like David Hughes out in Chichester. David is pictured in the newspaper today getting doused with a hose after a football practice at Chichester High School.

No doubt Hughes and kids all across the county are not quite as enthused about this hot streak as I am.

I know how they feel. That was me out there practicing, albeit some 40 years ago.

Somethings you don’t forget. Like the smell of newly cut grass when the temperature reaches 90 degrees with high humidity. And the sound of the crickets, their high-pitched whir creating the sounds of summer.

I feel for you, David. I still like it hot, but I feel your pain.

Some things you don’t forget.

Comments