The dreaded Saturday Eagles pick

Yes, friends, if Labor Day is in the rear-view mirror, it can only mean one thing: The return of the dreaded Saturday Eagles pick.

I'll make this one simple. I have not seen one thing this preseason that makes me feel good about the Birds.

I know they are the darlings of the national media. I'm not buying.

Two years ago, Andy Reid decided he could go into an NFL season without a punt returner. How did that work out? Has anyone forgotten the debacle in the opener at Green Bay?

Apparently Andy did. One year later he decided his team didn't really need a fullback. That worked out peachy, no?

This off-season, the Eagles made a series of moves, changing the face of much of their roster. It's hard to argue they did not make some very sound pickups. I just don't think right now they're a very good TEAM.

Reid apparently believes it's no big deal that what was supposed to be a revamped offensive line has yet to take a single snap together. Todd Herremans missed the entire preseason. Beside him, replacing Tra Thomas at right tackle, the Birds spent big bucks to bring in Jason Peters. He was touted as the best left tackle in football. But if I'm Donovan McNabb, I"m not all that comfortable with what I've seen from Peters protecting my blind side.

On the flip side was supposed to be the Andrews brothers. The Eagles signed Stacy to plop down beside his brother Shawn. Stacy was coming of knee surgery; Shawn from a battle with depression and a bad back that ended his season last year and forced him to go under the knife.

Then Reid decided to flip-flop the brothers, putting Shawn outside at tackle, with Stacy inside. Shawn also missed most of the presason after tweaking his back on the first day of practice. He finally returned this week and pronounced himself ready for the season. That lasted a couple of days, when he felt some discomfort in his back and pulled himself out of practice again. He'll miss the opener. Who knows when he'll be back. He has yet to hit anyone in anger this season.

And that doesn't even touch on the sideshow waiting to happen between Donovan McNabb and MIchael Vick.

Brian Westbrook did not take a single snap in the preseason. That probably is just as well, unless it takes him a few weeks to round into 'playing' shape.

On the other side of the ball, Jim Johnson is gone, and so seemingly is much of his feared defense's bite. Sean McDermott does not have Brian Dawkins, nor starting middle linebacker Stewart Bradley. They appear soft in the one place a defense cannot afford it, up the middle.

Everywhere I look this year, I see questions. Look for my print column on Monday, where I will discuss why I believe the Vick signing was a monumental mistake and a disaster looking for a place to happen.

I think one question about this team will be answered on Sunday.

They're just not very good. I see the Birds at 8-8 and missing the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong.

Look for Donovan McNabb and the offense to struggle as they almost always do early, and the Panthers to run the ball right down the defense's throat.

Make it Carolina 23, Eagles 16.

Comments