A holiday whine

The good folks at the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board have glad tidings for us at this festive time of the year.

The LCB is one of my pet peeves. Basically, all I want for Christmas is to push the plunger that would blow up the LCB, get the state out of the business of selling wine and spirits and move the whole thing over to private enterprise.

That isn’t going to happen anytime soon. We’ll have to settle for small gains.

Hey, I can not buy a six-pack of beer in Wegman’s. Joy to the World!

Now, I’m also going to be able to buy wine in kiosks. The LCB is announcing its plan to set up kiosks that will sell wine in supermarkets. There will be 100 of them sprinkled across the state, including 9 spots here in Delco.

I suppose this is progress. But it’s not what I want.

I want to be able to walk into Wawa and grab a six-pack from a cold case near the checkout line.

I’d like to be able to walk into a supermarket and buy beer, wine, liquor, soda and ice all in one spot, along with all the munchies my heart desires. And stick it all in my cart and pay for it in one trip through the checkout line with the rest of the groceries.

Maybe next year.

Comments