Playoffs are for the Birds

Ho-hum, another Sunday, another 20 inches of snow, and another Eagles win.

The Birds have now won five straight after dispatching the Niners Sunday in the frozen tundra of Lincoln Financial Field. In the process they clinched another playoff appearance.

So why am I still antsy about this team? I wish I could say I was confident about their chances heading into the playoffs. I’m not.

Yes, they have without question what just might be the best offensive weapon in their history with the meteoric DeSean Jackson.

But the guy throwing him the ball is still Donovan McNabb. For a guy who just wins and wins and wins, McNabb still leaves me cold. And this after a game in which he threw for over 300 yards. But he also threw two bad interceptions and the requisite number of balls at receiver’s feet. He missed Jackson once when he was wide open behind everyone for a touchdown, and of course continues to fail to hit receivers in stride.

This team is good, not great, particularly on defense, which may yet be their downfall.

I’ll take the next two weeks, including that season finale in Dallas, with a grain of salt. The Eagles are in the playoffs. Wake me when we get there.

And when they’re dispatched early, remember where you heard it first.

Comments