Shocked in Seattle

If you’re one of those lamenting the loss of Cliff Lee, you’re going to hate this.

He feels the same way.

Lee, the stud who put the Phils on his back after arriving at the trade deadline last summer and becoming the Phillies best pitcher, compiling a 4-0 postseason record, says he was stunned at news that he had been traded this week.

Instead, Lee finds himself a member of the Mariners.

Call it shocked in Seattle.

Lee had been in contact with Phillies officials last week, swapping offers on a new deal. The left-hander believed he was going to be a Phillie for the rest of his career. Turns out he wasn’t even a Phillie for the rest of the week.

“At first, I didn’t believe it,” Lee said. “I thought I’d be spending the rest of my career there … I was under the impression they wanted to keep me for a long time.”

Lee went 7-4 with a 3.39 ERA after arriving at the trade deadline.

Roy Halladay better be good. Very good.

Heaven help him if he struggles while Lee lights it up in Seattle.

Comments