The non-reality of pro athletes

I like Sheldon Brown. Yes, the Eagles’ cornerback had a tough ending to the season. So did a lot of his teammates – especially members of the defensive secondary that got savaged again and again by Tony Romo and the Cowboys.

They never really recovered from the loss of Brian Dawkins.

For his part, Brown soldiered on even though he was rebuffed by the team in his effort to renegotiate his contract.

That’s not what bothered me. I realize sports is a business and that these players have to strike while the iron is hot. I don’t begrudge them for trying to get every nickel they can.

But Brown said something after the Eagles lost to the Cowboys that I found hard to stomach. It only reinforced my belief that these guys really don’t get it. That’s because they don’t have to; they live in a completely different reality than what the rest of us deal with every day.

Brown was being interviewed about his contract problems and what he will do next year. He gave every indication that he will continue to be the good soldier.

But he also had to admit that it still got under his skin, the way he was treated by the team.

He indicated he would not be a problem, and that he would likely show up for all of coach Andy Reid’s offseason workouts. Then he said this.

“I can’t let my teammates down, so I’m going to try and do what I’m supposed to do. But it’s kind of like one of those situations where – if it’s not mandatory – you feel like you’re working overtime for minimum wage.”

Last year Brown made $3.5 million. Yes, for a superstar corner in the NFL, that’s apparently chump change.

Hard to believe, Harry.

Comments