Another day, another storm

Yesterday afternoon I was feeling pretty good about myself, mocking the talking heads on TV who had just spent an expanded 90 minutes on the noon new delivering the dramatic news that the roads were wet.

Not snow-covered. Just wet.

That was then; this is now.

Mother Nature, after giving us a break for much of the day yesterday, decided to get even last night.

I can sum up the drive in this morning in one word: A mess. That’s two words. So shoot me. Or just bury me in a snowdrift.

I came fairly close to doing that all by myself on the ride in.

The problem was that the snow picked up in intensity last night. It finally took those wet roads and converted them to snow-covered ski ramps.

But that wasn’t the big problem. It was the wind. It is howling out there. And that means drifts.

I usually have trouble gauging how bad the roads are going to be in my development, where it always looks like the end of the world. Usually I snake my way out to the main road and things clear up from there.

Not this morning. The wind had blown snow across the roads, drifting over in several spots. I had to simply hit the gas and plow through a couple of drifts.

Just another day in our winter of discontent.

By the time this ends around noon, we should be approaching the 80-inch mark for snowfall this winter.

We already were sitting on a record 73.1 inches of snow.

We’ve had four major storms so far this winter.

PennDOT estimates they have used about 150,000 tons of salt so far this winter. I think most of it is on my car.

Spring can’t get here soon enough.

Comments