A haunting image

My print column today focuses on a single image that I have not yet been able to shake.

You can read it here.

In this business, you try to build up a fairly tough exterior. It’s a defense mechanism. But it does not mean we’re not human.

The truth is some stories stay with you longer than others. And some images.

Like the image of two young girls embracing on a railroad track as a high-speed Acela train bears down on them.

They held the services for Vanessa Dorwart and Gina Gentile over the weekend. Dorwart’s funeral was Satuday; Gentile will be buried today.

I was asked to go on a national Headline News Network TV show Friday afternoon to talk about the story. I’m still kind of amazed at how many people saw it and wanted to ask me about it.

We tried to handle the funerals of the two girls with dignity. We did not cover them, aside from taking a photo of the long lines waiting to go into the two viewings.

It was a long week. We tried to cover a very important story while still offering some amount of privacy to the families involved.

I have a feeling this story will stay with all of us for awhile.

Along with that haunting image.

Comments