Teeing off on sports

Some things that are on my mind this morning, especially when it comes to sports:

It was all I could do not to grab a golf club and head for the back yard over the weekend. If only I could see the back yard under all that snow.
My best guess is that we need a few more weeks of this weather to lose all the snow piled up there.

But it did not stop me from getting outside and dreaming about one of my favorite things to do: A hot, humid early summer morning. I arrive at the course as it’s getting light and am first off the tee. As I walk (yes, I’m a walker, with a carry bag; there’s nothing worse than golf played from a cart. That truly is “a good walk spoiled”) down the fairway, I realize that moment is one of the reasons you work all winter. Just me and nature. Perfect.

There is nothing perfect about the PGA Tour these days. That’s because there is no Tiger. I will still watch. And I caught some of the stop from the Honda Classic over the weekend. I wish I could tell you who won. I think it was Camillo Villegas. Does it really matter?

The tour needs Tiger. Here’s one vote for him getting back for the Masters. To be honest, I don’t care what he did off the course. I want to see him back stalking those fairways.

Then there are the Eagles, who seem to be in no great hurry to do much of anything this off-season. They did re-sign fullback Leonard Weaver, but they have not done anything in the free agency market.

And yesterday they picked up the $1.5 million option on Michael Vick, which keeps him on their roster, at least for awhile. They still have three quarterbacks, which is probably still two too many.

Someone please tell me Andy Reid is joking when he says he is going to come back again next year with Donovan McNabb as his starter.

Finally, there is Allen Iverson. How sad is this story becoming? The one-time NBA scoring leader and one of the all-time great Sixers, is now beset with personal problems, with a very ill daughter and a wife who is divorcing him.

Now there are reports that he is also battling personal demons.

This one has disaster written all over it. And who did not see this one coming?

Yeah, I thought so.

Comments