Community journalism hits home

We’ve been talking a lot recently here at the newspaper about blogging and community journalism.


We’ve created a community journalism lab and recruited writers to take part in our experiment.


The idea is to increase the number of voices taking part in the daily journalism we create – both in print but especially online.


Yesterday we got a chance to see one of the benefits.


One of the newest members of our community journalism lab is Jennifer Hoff.


If you live in one of the towns that make up the William Penn School District, you probably know the name.


Hoff is a member of the William Penn School Board. William Penn was in the news yesterday. It was not good news. A senior at Penn Wood High had been gunned down during what appeared to be a fistfight in East Lansdowne.


Hoff is also a mother with kids in the William Penn School District. She is passionate about her schools, and her town.


She is the author of one of our newest blogs, Lansdowne Beat.


And yesterday she used her blog to join the conversation surrounding the shooting death of Mohamed Kamara.


Hoff has some strong ideas about young people. She also has a few words for some of the other voices taking part in this conversation – those who prefer to remain anonymous and post hurtful comments on Web sites, including this one.


I highly recommend you check out what Hoff has to say. And I encourage you to join the conversation.


Think you have what it takes to be a part of our community journalism lab? Give me a call at 610-622-8818. Or e-mail me at editor@delcotimes.com.


We’re looking for people with a passion for what goes on here in Delaware County every day.


People like Jennifer Hoff.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am shocked and appalled about how people make judgements about others following a tradegy like this one in East Lansdowne. I am from the midwest and always thought that the East Coast offered progressive ideas. I am so disappointed to experience so much hatred and racist views as I have in the Delaware County area. It is disheartening. I am a teacher in the WPSD. I am impressed by the children I work with. If I walk into a WPSD school, the students always wait to hold the door open for me. When I walked into Radnor HS I was intentionally shoved because I was not a familiar face. I did not know Mohamed Kamara but it sounds like he was a wonderful young man with a promising future. That is the bottom line.....I can't imagine the horror his family is experiencing right now. RIP Mohamed and pray for his family.