He's Phils' MVOG (most valuable old guy)

The “ace” of the Phillies staff has eight wins.

Say hello to Jamie Moyer.

The 47-year-old Moyer continued his miraculous season last night, dazzling the Cleveland Indians en route to a 3-1 Phils’ win.

The victory put Moyer’s season mark at 8-6. That would be the exact same mark as Halladay. Moyer is sporting a 4.43 ERA; Halladay’s checks in at 2.43.

Last night Moyer again defied the hands of time. He went eight innings, giving up just one run on a long home run off the bat of Russell Branyan. That was in the second. The Tribe did not score again.

What Moyer is doing this season defies just about every rule of baseball, let alone life in general.

Forty-seven-year-old men are supposed to be struggling in beer league softball contests, not fooling Major League hitters with a collection of junk balls.

But that is what Moyer is doing.

I am seven years older than Moyer. I confess when I watch him pitch I sometime yearn for the time when I actually played. I wouldn’t mind grabbing a bat and taking a few hacks off him.

The win last night and a loss by the Braves brings the Phils to four and a half games of first. Last night they also got their sparkplug, Jimmy Rollins, back in his familiar spot at the top of the lineup. Ryan Howard continues to drive in runs.

Maybe they are turning the corner.

This team has an MVP. He’s 47 years old.

My next life I want to come back as Jamie Moyer.

Comments