Horning in in World Cup boredom

I tried this weekend. I really tried. But I failed.

I don’t get soccer.

I thought maybe the World Cup would change my view of the sport. My son, who is a soccer and World cup fanatic, assured me it would.

It did not.

I tried to watch. Honestly. I couldn’t do it.

I’d rather read a good book. There’s more action.

There’s got to be more to it than this, right? At one point I watched a goalkeeper field a ball. He proceeded to kick it the entire length of the field, where it was gathered up by the opposing goalkeeper. He then proceeded to boot it right back to his counterpart at the other end of the “pitch.”

I have no grudge against soccer. I know this is a big deal. I also know the region – and Delaware County in particular – has a big stake in all this with the arrival of the MLS, the Union and PPL Park in Chester.

I still don’t get it.

Since when is a 0-0 draw anything other than 90 minutes of waiting for something to happen.

Teach me, please. I want to be excited. Instead I’m bored to tears.

I guess I should look on the bright side. The USA unexpectedly played England to a draw Saturday. That is good news for the Yanks. It increases their chances of getting out of the initial draw and into the later stages, which I am sure are much more exciting. The most interesting thing that happened during the USA game Saturday was the blunder committed by the England goalie, who managed to mishandle a routine shot into the tying goal. All I could think about was the situation a few years back when a player on I think a team from South America was actually attacked because of his poor play in his team’s loss.

I checked out the British papers Sunday morning online to see how bad it was. Yep, he was public enemy No. 1.

I kind of liked the headline in the New York Post, USA beats England, 1-1. Cute, since absolutely no one thought the U.S. was going to win.

Of course, none of this is even close to the most aggravating thing about the World Cup. That would be reserved for the God-awful practice of the South African fans of blowing those horns non-stop during the games.

The horn is called a vuvuzela, and it sounds something akin to a horde of angry bees swarming in the stadium. The sound has quickly become the soundtrack to the games. You can’t hear anything else.

There is now talk of possibly banning the horns if the fans don’t start showing more respect in how they are used.

Has anyone considered the fans are blowing their horns out of sheer boredom?

OK, that’s my World Cup rant for the day. I feel better now that I’ve blown my own horn.

Oh, and other thing. Go USA!

Comments