Rehoboth & the Gulf

There are some places that I consider sacred ground.

Rehoboth Beach, Del., would be one of them, even though I only make it down there a few scant days each summer.

Still, to me, it’s a very special place. It is summer; it is my youth; it is carefree days of doing one of my favorite things – sitting in a chair in the sand and trying to do as little as possible.

Yes, I know that Rehboth today is not exactly the same sleepy little town I remember when I was a kid.

There were no outlet malls. You got your slice of Grotto from a window on Rehoboth Avenue, there was no seating back then.

I have been thinking a lot about Rehoboth the past couple of weeks.

Not just because the weather is turning warm, we are on the cusp of summer and I’m dying to get back to my summer “escape.”

Instead all I can think of is the Gulf, as well as the people of places like Pensacola, Fla.

They are saying that the massive oil slick gushing from the rig that exploded in the Gulf is likely to hit the shores of Pensacola today.

Basically, their summer very well might be over. So is a big part of their lives. Towns like Pensacola, as well as many others that line the Gulf shore towns, are dependent on beaches.

Just as Rehoboth is.

It’s very likely that the beaches of Pensacola will be closed later today. No one is exactly sure when they will reopen.

It’s just incredibly sad to see the stories of people whose lives – and businesses – are about to be turned upside down. Some of the business owners in Pensacola indicated they likely will lose this entire summer.
What they don’t know is when their business will come back.

I can only imagine standing on the Rehoboth boardwalk watching as oil slapped up on that beautiful beach.

And then I remember that President Obama had proposed allowing drilling up and down the East Coast. Of course, that plan has been shelved since the Gulf disaster.

I know we are dependent on oil for our lives and economy.

But I wonder about the price.

I wonder what will happen to all those people in the Gulf.

And hope to God it never happens here.

Comments