The Lebron Show? Count me out

Somehow we are all going to have to survive, no doubt waiting with baited breath and on the edge of our seats in anticipation of the LeBron James show tonight.

If you have not heard, the NBA superstar is going to announce where he will take his services next year. It’s now being bandied about the Internet that he’s headed to the Big Apple. Or maybe Miami. Or he just might stay in Cleveland.

Most players hold a press conference to announce the signing. Not James. He’s holding a prime-time TV show.

James will make his announcement on ESPN during a one-hour special starting at 9 p.m. You read that correctly. One hour. My guess is we’ll get the announcement from “King James” sometime around 9:56. What exactly they will do for the rest of the hour, I have no idea. Nor do I care.

I have said many times that I believe ESPN (specifically the push by athletes to get their mugs on the Sports Center highlights each night) has ruined sports.

The James show will do nothing to change my mind. It is, simply, everything that is wrong with big-time sports. That’s because they have little if anything to do with the games. This is all about money, and ratings, and ESPN lording over sports.

This is not an event, nor a game, not even a practice. Hey, Allen Iverson would be proud. Practice?

This is all about LeBron James’ ego, and the willingness of ESPN to stretch the limits to gain ratings.

I suppose I will eventually find out where James will hang his Nikes next year.

Not that I care.

Oh, by the way. Any time “King James” wants to win an NBA championship would be just fine with me.

His next one will be his first. He failed to carry the Cavs to a title. Now it appears he will take his “kingdom” to someone else’s court.

The games don’t really count anymore. This is all about the Benjamins.

Should be riveting TV. I don’t know how I will survive without it.

Then again, the alternative is the water torture currently parading as the Phillies.

Hey, do you think LeBron can knock in a runner from third with nobody out?

Comments