A triple digit ride home

They say you live long enough, you’ll continue to see things you’ve never seen before.

Happened to me last night.

After another long day at the office, I walked out the front door and was me by the oven-like conditions outside. But it didn’t produce a frown from me. Instead, it turned my frown upside-down. You see, I actually like this weather. Perfect night for sitting on the screened-in porch and listening to the Phils, I thought.

Of course, first there would be the ride home. That’s when it happened.

My car has both a clock display as well as one that delivers the temperature outside. As I was pulling out of the parking lot, I glanced at the clock. That’s when I saw it. Three digits. Now there’s something I’ve never seen before, I said to myself. I didn’t even know it could display three digits. But there they were, 1-0-2 toasty degrees.

Actually, as I headed up Springfield Road it actually ticked up a notch to 103. But it was downhill from that point, registering in the 90s by the time I got home.

This morning the TV folks are indicating that last night might have been the warmest overnight in Philadelphia history. Wouldn’t bother me in the least.

Yes, I was sitting outside in complete bliss when I got home last night.
Now if only the Phils had won, it would have been a perfect night.

In the meantime, I suppose we will be forced to cover the heat one more day.

Relief is on the way tomorrow. Highs in the 90s.

I won’t soon forget that triple-digit display in the car. That’s in part because I still remember all too well the days last winter when it was displaying a single digit.

Give me heat and humidity any day.

Comments