It's just Madden-ing

I’m not exactly what you would call a “gamer.”

That has nothing to do with playing sports. It has everything to do with being parked in front of a video game.

Today is a big day for such “gamers.” Actually, many of them have been at it now for hours.

That’s because the new Madden football video game went on sale at midnight.

People were actually waiting in line to get their mitts on the brand new Madden NFL ’11. Some held elaborate tailgate parties in expectation of the new offering. I guess that’s somehow appropriate.

When my son was younger, I actually gave the whole Madden thing a shot.
Maybe I’m missing something. It did nothing for me.

Of course, that might have something to do with the fact that while my progeny moved his men expertly around the screen, his old man fumbled with the controller and watched his team get thoroughly drubbed on the screen.

But it wasn’t just that. There was a time when we didn’t play video games. We actually played. We went outside. We had pickup games of whatever sport happened to be in season. We played until dark, then slept for a few hours, then started all over again.

When is the last time you saw a group of young boys playing a game of pickup baseball? Without adults. Without uniforms. Without umpires.
Thought so.

I don’t expect this is going to have any effect whatsoever on the video game craze that is thoroughly entrenched in our society.

Just count me as one person who does not get it.

Comments