Tiger's Tumble

I have made no secret that I am a big fan of Tiger Woods.

I don’t look at him the same way as I once did, but I can admit I still tune in to see how he plays.

Having said that, I have no idea who that guy was who showed up at Firestone Country Club dressed as Woods this weekend.

Tiger suffered one of the more humiliating efforts of his illustrious career at the Bridgestone Invitational. The fact that there was no cut only made it that much tougher for the superstar, who had to go out there and slog it around the course on Saturday and Sunday.

Woods put up the worst numbers of his pro golfing career, a four-round total of 298, including a 77 on Sunday, that put him 18 strokes over par for the tourney. He finished next to last.

Afterward, Tiger looked like a beaten man.

I suppose that was inevitable given what has happened to him since he careened down his driveway back on Thanksgiving night and slammed into a fire hydrant.

That set off a firestorm of sex scandals as a series of paramours came forward to offer details of their alleged trysts with the greatest golfer on the planet.

Woods spent months away from the game, and did a stint at a sex rehab joint. On his return he parted ways with his swing coach, Hank Haney.

Now Woods needs some golfing rehab.

Actually, what I think Tiger needs is to just get away from everything, golf, the questions that follow him everywhere, and the cameras that are not far behind.

Physically and mentally, Woods simply does not appear to be same guy.

After his round yesterday, Woods again faced the media and tried to put some perspective on his plunge.

“It’s been a long year,” he said. When pressed with another version of the same question, he simply repeated, “It’s been a long year.”

You think?

Comments