Ya Gotta Believe!

Turns out Tugger was right. It was Frank Edwin ‘Tug’ McGraw’s favorite
saying: Ya Gotta’ Believe!

Go ahead, admit it. You did not hang in there with the Phils last night.
I know I didn’t. Of course that didn’t have anything to do with the fact that they were behind, 9-2, going into the eighth inning.

I had slipped into my normal coma-like state long before that.

The last thing I remember is Joe Blanton’s continued allergic reaction to the first inning. Before you could even look up, the Phils trailed the Dodgers last night, 3-0.

The Phils scratched out a couple of runs before their bullpen once again imploded.

So the Phils had six outs left going into the bottom of the eighth, staring up at a 9-2 hole.

Ya Gotta Believe, right?

What happened next was just this side of a miracle. Aided by a the Dodgers’ own shaky bullpen, as well as a crucial infield error, the Phillies scored four in the eighth and four more in the ninth for a most improbably 10-9 win.

Improbable? How about miraculous.

This is the kind of win a that can unite a team in thinking it’s their destiny. You won’t get any argument from me. I’ve already written the Phils off several times this summer.

I’m going with Tug the rest of the way. Look out Braves, here we come.

Ya Gotta Believe!

Comments