Best behavior, Mr. Vick

This weekend we welcome back the Michael Vick Experience.

And that might be a problem.

Ever since his return from a two-year exile from the NFL, during which he was a guest of the federal government for his role in bankrolling a dog-fighting operation, Vick has been on his best behavior.

I, for one, have been impressed. Vick has said all the right things and conducted himself impeccably. Yes, I am aware of that ill-conceived birthday party at which a man was shot after Vick left this summer. I’m not holding that against him.

There are those, however, who wonder if the “good” Vick will now go out the window now that Vick has been installed as the Eagles’ starting quarterback.

They believe that, having reclimbed the mountain, Vick will pick up some old habits, and some old acquintances. That would not bode well for him – or the Eagles.

I have been particularly impressed by the way Vick has calmly spoken, both about his role and what the Eagles are trying to accomplish.

This Sunday he will get a chance to firmly place his signature on the long list of Eagles starting quarterbacks. A win over the Jaguars will set up a monster week of hype as Donovan McNabb and the Redskins come to town the following Sunday.

I will be watching Vick intently to see how he reacts.

I hope I’m not disappointed.

Comments