A complaint from Norwood

It is one of the most common complaints I field here at the newspaper.

This time it’s coming from Norwood.

“Your paper is so quick to print to print anything negative about Norwood. …. I guess only negative news in Norwood is noteworthy to you and the rest of your editorial staff.”

The writer was irked because we failed to get anything in the paper about Saturday’s Norwood Community Day event. This despite the fact that we have given a fair amount of ink to the tax problems of a member of council. It’s a legitimate point.

The fact is we aren’t going to be able to get to every event in this county. Almost every town (there are 49 of them) in Delaware County holds a similar Community Day. What we usually try to do is have a photographer stop by and get some pictures, which we run with a short block of copy recapping the event. Most of the time, the pictures are actually more important than the text. We try to get to most of them. We don’t always make it.

What I will not agree with is that we are somehow harping on the negative news in Norwood. We reported on the tax problems of Councilman George Reed, as well as his recent decision to give up his seat and move out of town.

The person who e-mailed me, a familiar presence in Norwood and one whom I have had several similar conversations with, also noted that our story from a recent council meeting at which a resident lambasted Reed failed to point out the political leanings and alliances of the resident.

“We have a beautiful town down here, with wonderful, hard-working residents,” the writer pointed out. “They deserve better than to see you print only the negative, and completely ignore the positive that happens.”

I happen to agree. And I’m asking residents to help us in our mission.
If you have photos from Norwood’s Community Day, e-mail them to me and I will try to get something into print and also post them on our website.

And if someone has an interest in writing a Norwood blog, where all the town’s activities can be listed, I am more than willing to host that on our website as well.

The fact is that every day there is more news than I am going to be able to get into print. That’s one of the reasons we are developing the website, and community bloggers to help us in our efforts to cover everyone one of Delco 49 towns. That would include Norwood.

If you don’t like our coverage, why not give it a shot yourself. That doesn’t mean I want a bunch of fluff about how great borough council is, or lots of things that have a clear political slant to them.

But if you’re interested in covering your town, I’m interested in hearing from you.

Drop me an e-mail at editor@delcotimes.com.

The writer included this caveat in his e-mail:

“If you’re going to cover our town, I ask that you do so fairly.”

I couldn’t agree more. How about joining us?

Comments