The sad case of Ernest Rayfield

Ernest Rayfield is expected to appear in Springfield District Court this morning.

He is 88.

Rayfield has been in the Delaware County Prison since Sunday, when police responded to his Madison Road home and found him kneeling next to the lifeless body of his wife.

He is charged with stabbing her to death.

They had been married for more than 60 years. Rayfield had been caring for his ailing wife for years, since she started the slow decline into the darkness of Alzheimer’s disease.

Is it just me, or can someone explain to me what is being gained by having this man sit in jail?

Rayfield is charged with criminal homicide, murder, involuntary manslaughter, aggravated assault and possession of an instrument of crime.

He told police that he simply snapped, that he “had had enough.”

Family members and neighbors describe a doting husband who steadfastly stood by his ailing wife as her health declined. He apparently rejected most efforts to get them out of the house or other offers of aid.

I realize these are serious charges. But I don’t see Rayfield as any kind of threat.

I lost a mother to Alzheimer’s. I know how difficult it can be.

My heart goes out to Rayfield. And to the family members who watched as their mother slipped away.

And I see no reason to keep this man in jail another minute longer.

Comments