A salute to Michael Vick

I have been trying desperately over the past few weeks to find a reason to dislike Michael Vick.

I’m still looking.

This has nothing to do with football. OK, that’s ridiculous. Sure it has something to do with football. Michael Vick is a professional football player. Apparently, still a pretty damned good one.

Vick calmly stepped into the breech in Week 1 when new Eagles starter Kevin Kolb got knocked senseless against the Packers and almost rallied the Birds to an unexpected win.

On Sunday, with Kolb still on the shelf with concussion symptoms, Vick was dazzling in leading the Eagles to a desperately needed win over the Lions in Detroit.

But even before the game, Eagles Coach Andy Reid went out of his way to point out that Kolb had in fact passed a concussion test on Friday and was cleared to return to practice this week. So long as he does not suffer any setbacks, Reid made it clear Kolb would be the starter this week.

And that was before the game. All Vick did under those circumstances was go out and play lights out. This was the old Michael Vick, the quarterback who struck fear in the hearts of defensive coordinators with a combination of speed, elusiveness and an arm rarely seen.

So what was Vick’s reaction after his superstar performance only to learn his coach had decided he would be used in a backup role this week?
No problem.

And that’s the key. Since he came to the Eagles last year, Vick has been no problem. That comes as a surprise to some folks. I include myself among them.

Yes, Vick did have one error in judgment this summer when he attended a bithday party in his honor attended by some people he was not supposed to be associating with. A person wound up getting shot after Vick left the party.

I know there are people out there who will never accept Vick. I have not forgotten what he did in bankrolling that dog-fighting operation that earned him a two-year “vacation” from pro football in a federal prison.

I was one of those who was aghast that the Eagles would bring in such a person.

Vick was wrong in what he did. He does not try to hide it. He does not run away from it. He has handled all the questions head-on.

For that reason I can say I was wrong, too. About him.

I am a big believer in second chances. And it is for that reason that I was impressed with the way Vick played last week.

But I was even more impressed simply by listening to him after the game.

Maybe it was the two years “away” from the game, but Vick strikes me now as one of the most composed, thoughtful, appreciative athletes I’ve ever encountered.

It’s hard to imagine the Vick of a few years back would talk calmly and rationally after hearing of Reid’s decision.

It’s pretty clear a lot of fans – again myself included – believe Vick gives the Eagles a better chance of winning right now than Kolb does.
Expect that crescendo to get even louder should Kolb struggle again against the Jaguars.

Don’t expect Vick to join the chorus.

I know there are a lot of people who will never forgive Vick for what he did. In some instances, a lot of lifelong fans have cut their ties with the Eagles because of the team’s decision to bring Vick in.

I suggest they take a page out of Vick’s playbook and attempt something Vick has already mastered.

A second chance.

Comments