The world's greatest invention

Yesterday provided still one more confirmation of my firm belief in what is unquestionably the greatest invention in mankind’s history.

I refer, of course, to the TV remote control.

With trusty remote in hand, I spent an absolutely gorgeous late summer afternoon planted in front of my TV flipping back and forth between the Phillies and Eagles games.

Of course, all you have to do it set the remote on one game, then punch in the station for the other, then use the “last” button to go back and forth all afternoon.

Which is exactly what I did.

But the glory of the remote did not come into full flower until late in the afternoon. For the most part I stuck with the Eagles, flipping over to the Phils during commercial breaks and time outs.

Early in the game my timing was off, which is not always a bad thing. Thankfully, I did not see Phillies starter Joe Blanton serve up a three-run homer to put the Phils in a hole. I did manage to see him stomp off the mound at the end of the sixth inning, all the while giving the home plate umpire a piece of his mind.

Things were not looking good as the Phils came up for their final at-bat down, 6-3. Back to the Eagles I went as the Birds and Michael Vick stretched their lead over the Lions to 35-17.

With the Eagles appearing to be on cruise control, I decided to steal one more glance at the Phils. To my surprise, I quickly saw that they had closed the gap to 6-5 and had a runner on with no one out. That’s when my thumb went into overdrive.

Werth engaged in an epic at-bat, and I was going wildly back and forth. But I managed to see every pitch, including the last one, which Werth deposited in the deepest part of Citizens Bank Park for a walk-off homer and 7-6 Phils win. The Phillies managed four straight hits in the ninth. The Nationals did not get anyone out.

I only saw one of them. Of course, it was the most important one.

All thanks to my trusty remote.

The greatest invention in mankind’s history.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey - I am certainly delighted to find this. great job!