A toast to Tom Corbett

There was a headline that came out of the Pennsylvania gubernatorial race that caught my eye yesterday.

Because it’s something I’ve been asking candidates as they have arrived at out Primos offices for their endorsement interviews.

Republican Tom Corbett yesterday came out and called for the state to get out of the booze business. He wants to implode the Liquor Control Board and sell it off to private enterprise.

His opponent, Democrat Dan Onorato opposes the idea, instead saying he would work to make the state stores more appealing.

Only one problem with that. It doesn’t solve my problem.

Look, I am the first to admit I’m not sure of the math, if the revenue gained up front by selling off the business would hold up against the yearly revenue supplied by liquor and wine sales. We’ve actually had some candidates who believe the state would see more revenue because of increased sales and taxes on the private enterprise.

To be honest, that’s neither here or there.

Here’s what I want. When I am out grocery shopping, I want to be able to grab a case of beer – or a six-pack if I’m so inclined – stick it in my cart and keep right on shopping. Maybe in the next aisle I could snag a bottle of wine for dinner.

Right now all I can get at Wegmans is buying a six-pack at a separate facility in the prepared foods section. I have to pay for it separately there. I can’t just grab a quick six and put it in with the rest of the groceries.

Or say I’m headed home late one night and I want to grab a six-pack. I’d like to be able to pull into a local convenience store and snag a cold six-pack. I used to do it all the time when I lived in Colorado.

Finally, there is this. I want to be able to go one place for my alcohol purchases. I don’t want to go one place for a case of beer, another if I want a six-pack, and still another stop if I need wine or alcohol.

I want to do it all in one shot.

It sounds like Tom Corbett is on the same page.

I’ll drink to that.

Now, about that no-tax-hike pledge ….

Comments