Corbett Canyon: The end of the LCB?

After doing more than three hours of live coverage for our website on Election night, I was driving home dying for a beer when suddenly I was seized by the thought of Tom Corbett.

That’s not because the Republican attorney general had cruised to a big win to be Pennsylvania’s next governor. It was because of something he had said during the campaign.

Corbett had come out publicly for the sale of the Pennsylvania state store system. He said it was time to blow up the LCB and turn the sale of wine and spirits over to private enterprise.

My man!

It’s no secret that I have been on something of a one-man crusade to get the state out of the booze business.

I don’t think I’m asking for too much. All I want to be able to do is go one place for all my “spirits.” That means I’d like to be able to try a six-pack of a specialty beer, a case of my old standby Yuengling lager, a bottle of wine for dinner or some gin or vodka for the next party. And I want to do it all in one place.

To be honest, I’d like to do it at the same time I’m getting the groceries. I want to be able to put it all in one cart and head to the checkout. I don’t want to have to go to a separate part of the store, and go through a second checkout counter. I no longer want to go one place for a six-pack of beer, another for a case, and still one more for a bottle of wine.

Pennsylvania’s dark ages when it comes to the dispensing of beer and alcohol have been around long enough.

Mr. Corbett, if you need someone to push the plunger, feel free to give me a call.

For now, let’s all raise a glass and toast the new governor, and hold his feet to the fire in driving a stake through the heart of the LCB.

Comments