Not exactly ready for my closeup

 I now have a little better understanding for how the Flying Wallendas must have felt all those years, performing their daring high-wire act without a trapeze.


That’s my way of explaining that I took the plunge into the realm of live video last night, hosting two separate live-streams on our website on election night.


I take back all the bad things I’ve said about TV newspeople. If you’ve never tried to fill several hours – without breaks or commercial interruptions – let me tell you it can be a daunting experience.


If by any chance you missed the show, you can still catch it on delcotimes.com by clicking here.


It was part of our new editorial protocol to be “digital first,”

delivering news to our readers as soon as we get it, instead of waiting for our old, reliable print product to hit the streets. That does not mean we no longer do print. It means we now do both.


Some might call it “digital first;” last night I was calling it agita first.


I should offer some thanks to the guests who sat in with myself and Gil Spencer, without them I’m not exactly sure what Gil and I would have talked about for the better part of three hours.


At the Lentz/Democratic HQ at the American Legion Hall in Upper Darby, we were joined by Jon Bauman. You might know him better as “Bowzer”

from the classic rock group Sha Na Na. John even regaled the viewers with his signature do-wop song. We also owe a debt of gratitude to new county Democratic boss David Landau, as well as Media Mayor Bob McMahon.


After a frantic trip back down Garrett and Springfield roads, we then set up shop at Meehan/GOP headquarters at the Springfield Country Club.

The difference could not be more discernible. The place was jumping, with the mood electric as the numbers started to come in showing Pat Meehan pulling away.


We talked to County Councilman Tom McGarrigle, who managed to break a little news with word that the county budget that will be rolled out this week will not include a tax hike, Springfield GOP Chairman Mike Puppio, and finally an exclusive live sit-down with the new congressman, Pat Meehan himself.


It was a night to remember, and not just for Republicans.



Comments