Reasons for thanks?

And now, one of my many reasons for thanks on this day before Thanksgiving.


I don’t have to travel today. Actually, I have my hands full just trying to drive home.


My sympathies to all those on the interstates, jammed into train stations, or having their “junk” groped at airports.


I do, however, have a Thanksgiving rant. What holiday would be complete without one.


In my print column Monday, I lamented the fact that Thanksgiving is becoming an afterthought, a bump in the road before we hurtle out to the box stores and malls to begin the Black Friday madness.


Wal-Mart is opening at midnight. Toys R Us is beating them, opening their doors at 10 p.m.


Then I saw an ad on Sunday for Old Navy. Some 700 Old Navy sites are open from noon to 7 p.m. Thursday for something they are calling their Gobble Palooza site. They will then close for a few hours before reopening at 3 a.m. Black Friday.


Somewhere in there I fear is the true meaning of the holidays.

Comments