The dreaded Saturday Eagles pick, Thursday Edition

Excuse me while I curse the NFL schedule-makers. I'm sure a lot of people love it when the Eagles play in prime time.

Not newspaper people. A game that starts at 8:20 creates serious deadline problems. In addition, I happen to get up in the middle of the night. I usually don't last past halftime of these affairs. I doubt tonight will be much different.

What I think will be different tonight is the outcome. After dropping a game they probably should have won (don't we always say that?) in Chicago, the Birds have a very short week and line up vs. the Texans and West Chester native Matt Schaub tonight.

I like the Birds, short week or no short week. In the past two weeks the Eagles have faced maybe the two best defenses in the NFL, and moved the ball against both of them. They probably should have dropped 40 points on both the Giants and Bears.

Last week the Birds got into the Red Zone five times and scored just one touchdown. After the game, superstar-in-the-making DeSean Jackson sulked about not getting the ball. He apparently was read the riot act by Andy Reid, who was visibly upset by his young team's effort.

Look for the Birds to come out on fire tonight, and get Jackson involved from the get-go. Remember that bomb to open the Redskins game? Or maybe a reverse to get Jackson's juices flowing.

The Texans have a good offense, but one of the most porous offenses in the league. Look for both teams to light it up.

But Michael Vick and DeSean Jackson prevail.

Make it Eagles 33, Texans 23.
Last Week: I didn't give the Bears enough credit, although I still think that was a game that the Eagles should have won. They were inside the Red Zone 5 times and got all of one touchdown. That won't be the case tonight.

Season Record: After that speed bump in Chicago, I am at 7-4, neck and neck with the Eagles as they look to remain tied for the lead with the Giants in the NFC East.

Comments