Happy Holidays!

Unemployment is still hovering over 9 percent, and jobless benefits are expiring for some 83,000 Pennsylvanians, but never fear, all is right with the world.

The word “Christmas” has been restored to the Christmas Village display at Philadelphia City Hall.

This region is facing some serious problems. Whether or not the word Christmas is included in the Christmas Village display is not one of them.

Every year it’s the same thing. How are you supposed to greet people at this time of year? Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

The whole thing leaves me cold.

I happen to be Roman Catholic. So I have spent the last 54 years celebrating Christmas. In a few weeks I hope to make it 55. But I am not offended if someone happens to greet me with a “Happy Holidays” salutation. Hell, at this point, I’d be happy to get any kind of nice greeting on our increasingly demented streets.

The nuns who drilled me for eight years likely won’t be pleased to hear this, but I really think this is a personal decision.

Governments should stay out of it. If a store wants to base its advertising campaign on the more inclusive “Happy Holidays” as opposed to Christmas, I don’t have a problem with it.

I will continue to keep Christ in Christmas, but that’s my choice. Not everyone does. And I’m fine with that, too.

Go ahead, call me a grinch. You won’t be the first.

As for the situation in Philly, leave it to Mayor Michael Nutter to literally put a Santa cap on just one more PR fiasco for his administration.

Happy holidays, Mr. Mayor.

Comments