Should Michael Vick own a dog?

Michael Vick is making news off the field again.

I have made clear my feelings that Vick deserved the second chance he is getting with the Eagles. I’m also more than willing to admit that the fact that’s he’s doing it in Eagles green is part of this equation.

Ask me what my stance on Vick would be if he was leading the Cowboys to the playoffs, and I would tell you that’s a damn good question. I would hope that I would still say he deserves the opportunity, but it wouldn’t bother me in the least if he falls on his face.

Part of the Vick story is trying to separate what he does on the field (and right now he's doing it at a level that has made him the top vote-getter for the All-Pro team, leading both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady), and what he does off it.

It’s that off-the-field stuff that is back in the news.

Vick gave an interview with the website theGrio.com in which he said he would like to be able to own another dog.

“I would love to get another dog in the future,” Vick said. “I think it would be a big step for me in the rehabilitation process. I just think to have a pet in my household and to show people that I genuinely care, and my love, and my passion for animals.”

Uh, not a great idea, Mike.

I can understand that Michael Vick would love to be able to get a pet for his young girls. I still don’t think it’s a great idea.

Part of this is image. And the image that a lot of people still harbor against Vick is the one where he was running a dogfighting operation that killed dogs in the most barbaric way possible.

Under the terms of his probation, imposed after he did two years in a federal prison, the Eagles starting QB cannot own a dog for at least three years. It can be changed under the judge’s order.

But things aren’t all bad for Vick off the field. He has picked up his first post-prison endorsement. He’s hawking cars for a South Jersey auto dealership. Woodbury Nissan.

I have no problem with that.

I know there are people who will.

And now, how about blowing away those Giants.

Comments