Tucker Carlson and Michael Vick

The Michael Vick saga has taken another couple of twists, one on the field and one off.

It is no secret that I have been a big fan of Vick, as well as the Eagles’ decision to bring him back and offer him a second chance after he served almost two years for bankrolling a dogfighting operation.

Of course, back then I never dreamed Vick would wind up as the Eagles starting quarterback, let alone supplanting Kevin Kolb as the starter and uncorking an All-Pro season in which he has been the biggest story in the NFL.

But as big as Vick has been on the field, he continues to be a hot topic off the field as well. This week Vick has made more headlines in both areas.

In a word, he played lousy Tuesday night as the Eagles fell to the Vikings. He had a lot of company, but Vick's work is magnified because he is the quarterback. He was hurt on the first play and looked like it the rest of the game.

Then there is the off-the-field ruckus, which Vick has no control over. Simply put, I am at a loss to explain the recent comments of national talk show host Tucker Carlson.

All he did this week was put forth the opinion that Vick “should have been executed” for his conviction in the dogfighting operation.

I am not making this up.

I’ve heard of an eye for an eye. I suppose this is a paw for a paw.

Someone a lot wiser than I once said there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Carlson is certainly proof of that. His comments have created national headlines.

I don’t happen to agree with him. In fact, I would vehemently disagree. Having said that, I believe Carlson has every right to his opinion.

It’s up to the rest of us to simply ignore them.

Comments