Heron's Nest Contest: How many more snows between now and March 20?

I hate to be the harbinger of bad news (actually most people think that’s pretty much what I do every day), but we interrupt this blog to bring you the latest weather forecast.

Stop me if you’ve heard this before.

Yes, more snow is on the way. And that’s not my only weather peeve. The folks who man the weather desks at our local TV stations have been so kind as to offer a new term – “plowable snow.”

That’s what they say is coming Thursday night into Friday. Swell, huh?

Just what exactly is a plowable snow? I would assume that means several inches.

And just to add to our misery, the snow will be followed by an arctic blast that promises to deliver the coldest temperatures of the winter.
We’re not expecting to get out of the 20s all weekend. Lows on Sunday morning are expected to be in the single digits.

To break up our these winter doldrums, I proudly announce the Great Heron’s Nest Winter Prognosticator Contest.

That’s right, Punxsutawney has nothing on this Phil. A glance at the calendar tells me spring arrives on March 20. That’s exactly 60 days away. Yes, I know, some people believe spring arrives when pitchers and catchers report to Clearwater on Feb. 13.

All you have to do win the contest is guess how many snows will arrive between now and March 20.

I say we get exactly 9 more measurable snows. What do you think? Post your response as a comment and I’ll keep tabs.

Winner will get an official Daily Times Fancast T-shirt. What you were expecting an all-expenses paid trip to Phillies spring training?

Dream on. Me? I’ll just continue to dream of summer.

Comments