What happened to the northern and western suburbs?

A weird and wonderful thing is happening this winter.

Now don’t take that wrong. I have not changed my stripes on these 90 days that follow the holidays. I still hate them. With a passion.

So, yes, I will be among those griding my teeth looking out the window (if we had a window here in the newsroom) waiting for the arrival of more snow this afternoon.

The forecasters are pretty much in accord on this one. We’re going to get more snow. It likely will require plows to be put into use.

PennDOT says it is ready. They have been bush pre-treating the roads with that brine solution that helps to keep the snow from sticking to the road surface. They say they will have 400 plows in operation tonight.

Getting to work won’t be a problem. Schools will be open. And even getting home tonght should not be a concern. The snow is expected to arrive around the evening rush hour and likely continue through the night before tapering off tomorrow morning.

But here is the interesting part, at least to me.

Something different is happening this year when it comes to the snow. In years past I have lived in fear of the following phrase: the northern and western suburbs.

First off, I always had a devil of a time trying to figure out where they were. When exactly did Allentown become a Philadelphia suburb?
Would it by any chance have anything to do with the fact that they get more snow there, thus allowing the local TV stations a place to stick rules in the snow?

You could pretty much always count on the “northern and western suburbs”
getting the brunt of the snow.

Not this year.

And it sounds like the same thing is going to happen again tonight. The heaviest snow is expected to be east of us, near the Jersey shore, and then farther up the coast in New York City.

I’m not complaining.

I’m counting the days until spring. Or at least until catchers and pitchers report to Clearwater.

Comments