One man's 'Super' thoughts

One man’s opinion on the Super Bowl:

First, the commercials stunk. Don’t they always? If that’s what you get for $3 million, I’m in the wrong business. Yeah, I know, tell me something I don’t know.

It cost a cool $3 million for a 30-second spot, and I was underwhelmed by what I saw. Granted, I was only awake until about halfway through the third quarter before I descended into my nightly coma.

There’s a lot of buzz surrounding Eminem appearing in a Chrysler spot, introducing a new car while tooling through Detroit. Not bad. I’ll make that the best of the bunch.

As far as the halftime show goes, let me just say this. I’m not a Black-Eyed Peas fan. Sure, they have some catchy tunes, but do they really belong in the same pantheon as some previous performers?

I readily admit to being a classic rock fan, so the Stones, Aerosmith, U2, and Tom Petty shows are right up my alley. Then when the Boss appeared, I was of course more interested in the halftime set by the E Street Band than the game. They did not disappoint. I can’t say the same thing about Fergie and her mates. I guess I just don’t get it.

Finally, much is being made of the fact that Christina Aguilers flubbed a line from the “National Anthem.” It’s every performers’s nightmare, and I’m inclined to cut her some slack. It didn’t seem to stop her from using those great pipes to deliver a stirring rendition.

And last but not least, of course, the most important aspect of any Super Bowl.

My numbers in the office block pool? 0 for the Packers, 5 for the Steelers. Final score? 31-25, Packers win. They couldn’t miss the extra point, right? Story of my life.

Oh, well, there’s always next year. Right, Andy Reid?

Comments