A wing and no prayer

If it’s the Friday before the Super Bowl, it can mean only one thing.

Wing Bowl.

I have to admit that I have never been to Wing Bowl. Somehow I have managed to survive.

That is not to say that I wouldn’t if I ever got the chance. It’s just that I’m usually at work early on Friday morning.

For those of you who don’t have any idea what I’m talking about, Wing Bowl is the creation of the WIP Sportsradio 610 Morning Team, specifically Al Morganti.

What started as a fairly casual event held in the lobby of a downtown hotel 19 years ago, now fills the Wells Fargo Center, 19,000-strong, in what has become one of the biggest annual parties of the year.

We’re not staffing Wing Bowl this year. I think it’s about run its course.

We’re picking up coverage from our friend at Fox-29 and NBC-10. I am also again hoping that AP gives us photos.

This is not for the faint of heart – either on the caloric side or the prude side.

That’s because part of the draw of this Philly version of Mardi Gras is the “Wingettes,’ the scantily clad ladies who form part of the entourage for each contestant.

Nudity is pretty much a given.

Last year the winner consumed 238 chicken wings in about a half hour.

Wings, beer and nearly naked women.

At this point there really is only one thing to say:

Is this a great country or what.

Comments