Another tough day for the church

I still can’t get used to the idea of seeing my parish priest walking into court.

But that was Monsignor William Lynn in downtown Philly yesterday.

He was among a group of priests, former priests and a teacher who now face criminal charges connected to the church child sexual abuse scandal.

Monsignor Lynn also now carries the moniker of being the highest-ranking church official in the U.S. ever criminal charged in the scandal that continues to engulf the Roman Catholic church.

Last week he showed up a couple of times on the national network news.

I still can’t get used to it.

I continue to hope that he’s innocent. But I have read both grand jury reports. And I am deeply troubled by the allegations they contain.

My guess is that the monsignor was simply following the directions of his boss, then Archbishop Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua. The cardinal is now ailing, apparently suffering from both cancer and dementia. He has not been charged.

If what I read is true, he likely should have been.

And I simply wish the monsignor had stood up and told him, “I can’t do this.”

In the meantime, I guess I will have to get used to what I saw yesterday.

Just sad.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The sadness in all of this is that this has taken away our trust in the clergy, as well as the church of our birth.
The rage is a "horse of a different color", the poor little 9 yr. old who was molested in the sacristy then passed along for another molestation and yet another before being left in a playground to fend for himself.
How does one ever resolve that?
I have not been able to enter a Roman Catholic church since before Ash Wednesday, after reading that saga.
How the dust settles in all of this will be a determining factor for many of us.
God help us all.

Roseanne Hunt-Harkin