Gas pains

I’m ready to cry uncle. Either that or I’m ready to set my car on fire.

I drive about 40 minutes one way to work every day. Yeah, I know, what was I thinking? The same thing I’ve been thinking every day now for the past 28 years.

I used to pay strictly cash for gas. That went by the boards years ago.
It’s so much easier not to have to bother going inside. Plus I buy most of my gas at Wawa, and I had no intention of going inside and waiting in those lines.

There was a time when, on priciple, I would not go over $20 when filling up the tank. Yeah, that’s right, the good old days. What I would give for that threshold now.

My new plateau is $40. For some reason I just can’t bring myself to go over that mark. I now it sounds silly. I’m there and I’m pumping, why not just fill the damn tank? I just can’t do it.

Unfortunately, $40 these days only gets me about three-quarters of a tank.

Last weekend my lovely wife and I did something I’ve been threatening to do for years. We looked at a townhouse. It had one huge advantage over the single home we now live in. It was in town. It means, if I wanted to, I could drive home Friday night, park the car in the driveway, and not get in it again until Monday morning. I could walk to everything I needed to do.

My guess is that I am not going to buy a new townhouse. I’m too big a chicken to do that.

But I am wondering exactly where gas prices are headed. And I think I know.

Higher.

After all, the first day of spring is just around the corner. Behind that lies Memorial Day and the start of the summer driving season.

AAA reports that gas prices in the Philadelphia region have gone up 18 cents a gallon just since Feb. 1. And they've gone up 16 cents just since Feb. 16. Prices are the highest they've been since Hurricane Katrina.

We have two cars. Our monthly credit card bill now is more than I paid in monthly rent on my first apartment.

I glanced at the sign at the Wawa on the way into the office this morning. It glowed a robust $3.43 a gallon for regular.

That three-quarters of a tank is looking better all the time.

Comments