A snow job on gas prices

I’m putting the Great Heron’s Nest Snow Prognosticating Event in the rear-view mirror.

In essence, I’m waving the white flag. I said back when we were getting hammered in January that we would have nine more snow storms before the first day of spring on March 20. We’ve had exactly four, including only one in the entire month of February.

There were actually some flurries falling when I left the house this morning, but that does not count.

I’m also ready to wave the white flag on another issue as well.

Gas prices.

They’re killing me.

So, without further ado, I am rolling out the Great Heron’s Nest Gas Pains Contest.

The key here is to guess when exactly the price of regular gasoline will hit the $4 mark here in the Philadelphia area.

The bad news continued over the weekend. AAA reported Sunday that the average price in the Philadelphia region is now $3.51. That’s up 16 cents in just a week , when we were paying $3.35 a gallon. This time last year we were actually filling up for a pittance, a measly $2.79 a gallon. Yeah, the good old days.

Nationally, AAA says the price of gas has gone up 31 cents in two weeks,
36 cents in the month, and 76 cents from a year ago.

We’re now just 64 cents shy of the all-time high price of gas set back in July 2008.

The only bigger one-week spike in gas prices was in September 2005 in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, when prices spurted more than 48 cents a gallon.

The president is actually thinking of releasing some of the national reserves to alleviate the short-term gas-price crunch. That would be a mistake for a lot of reasons.

I don’t think there’s much doubt that we’re readed back to $4 a gallon for gas.

The question is when. The popular conspiracy theory is that prices always spike just in time for Memorial Day and the peak summer driving season.

I don’t think it’s going to last that long. I say we hit $4 a gallon on May 15.

Happy Mother’s Day.

When do you think we’ll hit the $4 mark? Post a comment and let me know.

Comments