A tale of two presidents

As I watched President Obama on national TV last night making his case for taking military action against Libya, I was left with one haunting image.

Substitute George W. Bush for Obama, what do you think the reaction would be?

I thought so.

I think Obama made a passionate case for moving against Moammar Gadhafi before we witnessed scenes of atrocity.

I also think Bush would have been crucified had he tried to make the same case.

We can deny it all we want, but there’s no question that Bush got treated differently at almost every turn.

He was constantly attacked, challenged, and at times even belittled as somehow intellectually unfit for office.

It’s just the way people, and yes, the media, reacted to him. They react to Obama in a much different way.

That does not mean Obama also does not have his knee-jerk reactionaries who will attack everything he does. But they do so for a different reason. It’s more on a policy level.

The attack on Bush was more personal. And I still don’t understand it.

Comments