The cathedral of sports

Today is a very special day in the world of sports. In fact, you might say this is the best week on the sports calendar.

It’s not because of the finale of March Madness, although I suppose you could now make the argument that having Butler play in the national title game was proof of the madness part. They couldn’t throw it in the ocean.

I am as big a Phillies fan as you will find, but it’s still too cold to sit out on the porch with my radio, so I am stuck inside most nights watching the games on TV.

The Sixers and Flyers are in action, but their playoff series won’t start for at least another week.

None of those events are what makes this the best week in sports.

Here’s a hint: I am a golfer. Not a good one, but I play (a whole lot less than I’d like to).

If you’re looking for me this weekend, I will be planted in front of the TV watching the Masters golf tournament. It’s my favorite tournament of the year.

It’s the only one of the four majors that is played on the same course every year. That would be the almost incomparable Augusta National in Augusta, Ga.

I have never been to Augusta, let alone strolled down Magnolia Lane to one of the most famous venues in sports.

I am told by those who have been there a couple of things I find fascinating.

First is that you’d never know the beauty of the place by the approach, which is set on what looks like any other suburban street lined by strip shopping centers and fast-food joints.

That belies the beauty behind the gates.

They also tell me that as majestic as Augusta National appears on TV, it doesn’t nearly do it justice when you see it in person.

Then there’s the golf. Every year the Masters produces one of the great sporting spectacles of the year. The say the Masters doesn’t really start until the Back Nine on Sunday, and year after year that holds true.

After another brutal winter and with a cranky spring that, as usual can’t make up its mind, I will be transported this weekend to one of the most beautiful places on Earth. Augusta National will be in full bloom, each hole framed by majestic pines, and azaleas and rhododendrons in full bloom.

By the way, my guy Tiger Woods will be there, and I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if he’s in contention. If he is, the ratings will go through the roof. But Tiger continues to be hounded by inconsistency as he tries to rebuild his life. He’ll put together a good round, then falter the next day. That is not a winning recipe at Augusta.

Phil Mickelson won last week in Houston, so that makes him a bit of a longshot to win two weeks in a row.

I’d put my money on one of the young guns, a long hitter who preferably hits a draw, something you need to play well at Augusta.

You want a name? How about Dustin Johnson.

I know I’ll be watching.

A tradition unlike any other? You dont' need to convince me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm 100% with you, Mr. Heron... The Masters is also my favorite tournament of the year. The other three are interesting but not quite like the Masters. Your post made me think back to days of old when your former colleague at the Daily Times and my friend and former colleague at a local university, Greg Greenday, was sent by the Times to provide coverage of the tournament. His coverage was exceptional. And his stories about the experience were fascinating. I cannot help but think of him on Masters Sunday each year with fond memories...