Score one for the Phanatic

As usual my timing left a lot to be desire.

I spent the last two days here campaigning against the Phillie Phanatic.
Yeah, I know, not my brightest idea.

I really don’t have anything against the fuzzy, green guy. I just wondered if he was really necessary now that the Phils are a perennial contender and play in a stupendous new stadium that is one of the most jumping spots in the city.

I do, however, continue to have safety concerns about someone paying more attention to the Phanatic than what is happening on the field getting injured by a line drive into the stands.

The reaction was about what I expected. Most people wondered if I’d lost the few marbles I have left.

Then yesterday afternoon, Forbes.com decided to put the icing on the cake.

The magazine named the Phillie Phanatic the most popular mascot in sports, beating out the San Diego Chicken, which came in second.

The Phanatic celebrated its 34th birthday on Sunday. Here’s to many more.

Even if a certain newspaper editor tried to blow out your candles.

Comments