Life's a beach, welcome summer!

Well, we’ve survived another winter.

Time to kick off the socks and shoes, don the flip-flops and raise a cold one to the arrival of summer.

Along those lines, brace yourself for a non-stop assault of the TV news types standing on the boardwalk down at the Jersey shore. It’s the standard Friday-of-Memorial-Day-weekend story.

I also notice that a survey of New Jersey residents again has determined that Wildwood is the best Jersey beach destination.

I have been in Wildwood exactly twice in my life. Once was a weekend jaunt with a bunch of guys in my unruly youth. It was during that weekend that I experienced the single loudest noise that has ever assaulted my ears in my 55 years on this globe. That would be an Aerosmith concert at Wildwood Convention Hall. I obviously loved it.

The last time was a few years back when I stood my normal summer routine on its head and actually joined my wife’s family for a week at the beach. The opposite is normally true. My family each summer holds something of an impromptu reunion at the shore.

I remember two things about Wildwood. One day when it poured down rain overnight I awoke to realize that we were stranded in our apartment. The street was literally flooded.

The other is the beach. I had been warned by the people at work about the long haul to the water. They weren’t joking. I schlepped up to the boardwalk, hauling my chair, cooler, umbrella and other beach necessities.

Then I glanced at an expanse of sand that would put the Sahara to shame.
It was almost as if the water was a mirage out on the horizon. It’s the biggest expanse of sand I’ve ever seen this side of Vegas.

Me? I’m a Delaware guy. I’ve been going to Rehoboth Beach, Del., since I was a kid, when we would take day-trips. Yes, it’s a long haul. And it’s worth every second of it. We never thought twice about driving down and back to Rehoboth. The first time I took my wife, a devotee of the Jersey shore, to Rehoboth, we were approaching Dover when she politely asked where in hell we were going and what month we expected to arrive.

You can have New Jersey. I have nothing against it. But I will remain forever a Rehoboth guy.

See you at Grotto’s.

Welcome summer.

Comments