This Weiner doesn't cut the mustard

The gods are smiling on headline writers.

How else can you explain a congressman who gets in trouble for sending lewd pictures of himself to a woman who was not his wife, then at first denying it while saying his account was hacked, then becoming the latest in a long procession of teary-eyed pols to come clean.

You would think that would be enough. Except for one small thing. This guy’s last name is Weiner.

You can’t make this stuff up.

I suppose there’s a lesson in this latest circus surrounding Democratic New York Rep. Anthony Weiner.

First, as I often tell myself, there’s something to be said for a boring life.

Second, and I’m not exactly sure how long it is going to take for this message to register in our social media-satured society, be careful what you share online.

That person you are “chatting” with just may be an undercover officer.
Thinking of posting a salacious picture of yourself or someone else on Facebook? Think twice before you hit that ‘send’ key. Considering an especially wicked email or Tweet. Just remember that once you send that message, it is very hard to get it back.

I deal with this kind of media every day. I try to refrain from doing things in this blog and on our Twitter and Facebook accounts that I might regret.

It’s about time we all learn that.

Don’t believe me. Just ask Anthony Weiner. My guess is he is not relishing his time in the limelight.

Sorry, it’s a bad habit of an old headline writer. If that's the worst thing I do online, I can live with that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good advice, Mr. Heron... But the best advice is: Don't say something online, whether in a response to a blog post or on a social media site like Facebook or Twitter, that you wouldn't say to a person (or in front of your mother) in person...