When did we start closing schools because of the heat?

I am often accused of being something of a crank. I suppose I could blame it on the heat.

Except for this: I actually like this heat. The hotter the better. Yes, that was me sitting on the deck last night listening to the Phillies game on the radio.

To me, it was a perfect summer night. In other words, stifling. High humidity. Air you could cut with a knife. A haze that seemed to shift to fog as the sun descended.

Heaven.

Which brings me to my point. Is it me, or when did we start closing schools because it’s hot out?

Am I missing something here? In our overly litigious world, are we afraid that if something were to happen, there would be a liability issue?

Or do we all simply pay too much attention to the non-stop braying of the TV news folks as to the onslaught of temperatures in the 90s.

I still think the best advice was that given by the nuns when we would return from recess and squirm in our broiling seats all those many years ago.

“If you sit very still you’d actually be much cooler.” Didn’t feel like it then; probably doesn't now either.

Is this a little hotter than we normally get this early? Sure. Remember, summer does not officially arrive for a couple of weeks.

Don’t wait for me to complain. If you need me, I’ll be out on the deck.
Sweating. And smiling.

Comments

Louise said…
The answer to all of your questions is "Yes"!! In areas where it's expected to be hot, the school year starts earlier and they are already done for the summer. Of course, the possibility of doing that here is a whole other topic of discussion.
insomnia said…
It was hot. Real hot. And they don't have the luxury of AC in school. It was a snow day in June, a preview of summer to come. They were hot and bored, bored and hot all day long. It's going to be a long summer.