About the Casey Anthony trial

And now another trip back into the confessional.

This is going to sound odd coming from someone who does what I do for a living, but what am I missing in the Casey Anthony trial?

Other than the overwhelming sadness of this 2-year-old girl’s life.

In case you missed it, a jury in Florida yesterday found Casey Anthony not guilty of first-degree murder and all the serious charges involving the death of her 2-year-old daughter. She was convicted on several minor counts.

Make no mistake. The jury found her not guilty, an acquittal. I would not necessarily say that makes her “innocent.”

The whole cable TV talk show circus that surrounded this case left me cold. When a furor erupted yesterday as news of the verdict spread like a wildfire across Twitter and Facebook, I thought of nothing other than the sadness of the horrific life and death of that 2-year-old girl.

Really, other than that, I have no feelings for anyone else in this circus. I am not sure why. Actually I am in fact exactly sure. The death of this little girl and the charges against her mother, leading to a sensational trial, mean one thing: Ratings.

And sales of newspapers, lest I come off as a hypocrite.

It’s just that none of that is going to change what happened that little girl.

Or the overwhelming sadness that surrounds this case.

And the knowledge that it is merely a matter of time before the cable TV talking heads move on to the next topic.

Feel free to offer your own thoughts on the trial. I'll pick them up and use them in tomorrow's blog.

Comments

Gruntled said…
If I try to put myself in the place of a juror, I doubt that I could have convicted Casey Anthony based soley on the evidence that the prosecution presented. There would have still been too many unanswered questions. I think that Casey is guilty, but her guilt wasn't proven beyond reasonable doubt. I think the prosecution focused too closely on forensics and not enough research was done about the days between Caylee's disappearance and the discovery of her body...ie witnesses, Casey's whereabouts. etc.
Louise said…
I agree with Gruntled...and with Mr. Heron. In the end, all I can think about is a baby...gone..dumped. I think that whole family knows exactly what happened. Don't know how they will live with themselves. Maybe that will be worse than any prison sentence.
insomnia said…
The whole chloroform/duct tape thing gets me wondering. Why would a mom need either 2 things to subdue her 2 year old. 2 year olds follow their moms around attached to their legs. Duct tape and chloroform indicate that you wanna knock out a kid and then keep the kid quiet when it wakes up. That would further indicate an abduction situation not mom killing her 2 year old.
Also, I firmly believe that family knows exactly what went on with the kid. It's something they're all gonna have to live with.