A chunk of summer is gone

My wife’ grandmother used to have a weird proclamation she would make every year on July 4th.

Summer’s over.

I know, it sounds weird. But the more I think about it, the more I realize she might have been on to something.

Watch the ads closely this week. Check the circulars next Sunday. See how long it takes for the “Back to School” sales to start flooding the airwaves.

Yes, we still have almost all of July and August to go.

Still, we’ve passed one of the milestones of summer.

I happen to love the 4th of July. It’s one of those days that you long for as you trudge through the snow and cold all winter.

This year, with it lining up on Monday and creating the perfect long, holiday weekend, it makes it that much tougher to come back to work and slowly start back into the same grind.

Of course I didn’t really have that problem. I spent much of yesterday online updating the story on the SWAT standoff in trainer and killing of the suspect in the double-murder in Montgomery County.

That’s one thing about news. It never pays attention to the calendar. It does not recognize holidays.

And it pays no mind to a harbinger of summer come and gone.

Am I losing my mind or does anyone else have this problem? Post a comment and offer your thoughts!

Comments