An evening at Rose Tree

'Live From the Newsroom' was on the road again last night. After enjoying an evening on State Street in Media the week before for 'Dining Under the Stars,' we took our show down the road just a bit last night to Rose Tree Park for the Rose Tree Summer Festival.


It just so happened that our visit coincided with the Beatlemania show. Everyone told me it was one of the most popular shows of the summer at the amphitheatre, which has been hosting these free summer shows since 1976.


I sort of got that idea around 5:45, as I sat on the ramp from the Route 1 Bypass to Route 252. For about 15 minutes.


And when I finally got to the park, where I saw the parking lot quickly filling up.


And when I found a parking spot and walked into the amphitheatre, where people were already camped out on the grass for a show that was not starting for another hour and a half, at 7:30.


In other words, the place was packed. By the time 7:30 rolled around and the faux Fab Four took the stage, there must have been 5,000 people packed into the place.


It made for a great night.


So did our visit with County Councilman Jack Whelan, who talked about everything from the latest addition to the park, the new home of the Brandywine Visitors and Convention Bureau at the relocated Rose Tree Tavern, to the county's push to build a new animal shelter, and even mixing in a little politics.


County Parks & Rec boss Marc Manfre also joined myself and Gil Spencer in our perch at the top of the hill overlookign the stage.


CLICK HERE if you'd like to watch the replay.


Right now I'm fielding requests for future shows. If you have an idea you'd like us to cover, or a place where you think we should visit, let me know. Email me at editor@delcotimes.com.


Backyard weather has nothing on us. We'll bring 'Live From the Newsroom' to your backyard, if you have an issue we think should be aired.


Let me know.  One idea we're toying with is taking the show to a local coffee shop once a week simply to talk about what is going on in the county, meet readers, and hear what they have to say.


Look for us coming to a town near you!

Comments