Getting Pa. out of booze

Today could be a big day in The Heron’s Nest’s one-man campaign to get Pennsylvania out of the booze business.


Turns out I’m not alone.


Republican House Majority Leader Mike Turzai is expected to reintroduce a measure in Harrisburg today that would do just that.


Here, here!


I know all the arguments against. I’m not buying any of them. The folks at the Liquor Control Board, the people who actually run the alcohol sales business in this state, are always touting how they are much better at literally “controlling” sales, including sales to minors.


Funny they didn’t mention that in the press release they put out last week touting how they had record revenues in the past year.


Yeah, people like to drink. I like having a beer or a glass of wine on the deck myself.


But I hate having to go to two different places to get them.


I won’t go into the multiple situations Pennsylvanians confront when it comes to trying to secure the beverage of their choice. Let’s see: beer (one place for a six-pack, another for a case), wine, soda. That’s three stops right there.


All I want to be able to do is grab a cold six-pack on the way home from my local Wawa, or be able to put a case (or a six-pack for that matter) in my cart at the supermarket and pay for it with all the rest of the grocers. I shop at Wegmans, but I still find having to go to a separate checkout for beer a bit silly. And I can’t buy wine or alcohol there. Lovely.


We’ll be keeping close tabs on this situation today.


And we’ll also be watching Gov. Tom Corbett, who now seems to be getting a little coy on his stance about getting Pa. out of booze. You can read an update here.


What do you think? Do you agree? Do you think I’m completely off the mark? Join the coversation. Post a comment and I’ll offer my reply.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I couldn't agree more as to the inconvenience of the antiquated PA liquor law. The process of buying beer and alcohol in supermarkets and convenience stores has worked fine for years in many other states. I think what it boils down to is the almighty american dollar PA rakes in each year and doesn't want to part with! Funny how Corbett rallied in his campaign promises to end this ridiculous law--only now to seemingly be coy about the whole thing.
David E. McGee said…
I concur, Phil. There is no legitmate reason to continue to adhere to outdated policies when better ways ecist.

In order to grow, you must change. Without change, there is only stagnation and a tenacious, fundamental grip on doing things "the old-fashioned way."

Ultra-conservatism only serves the ultra-conservatists. The people should decide how they wish their government entities and the representatives of those entities to conduct policy.