Gunning for some positive news in Darby

I’ve never been a big believer in those gun buy-back events as a method of crime control.

I’ve always considered them something of a gimmick, an opportunity for politicians to crow about what they are doing to make their streets safer.

Couple that with 100-degree temperatures, and I thought last Saturday’s event in Darby Borough might turn out to be a waste of time.

I sent a reporter and photographer to the event, but I wasn’t sure that they, along with the phalanx of pols, might not be the only ones to show up.

I was wrong.

There was a line of people toting firearms when they opened the doors at
9 a.m. Some people had been there for 45 minutes.

In total, 57 guns were turned in, exchanged for $100 gift cards to local supermarkets.

Credit to Sen. Anthony Williams, D-8, who used some money he had in his Neighborhood to Neighborhood Summer Peace Initiative to make the event happen.

Maybe Darby Borough Mayor Helen Thomas said it best.

“We’re overwhelmed,” she commented. “I’m telling you I just can’t believe it. It shows that we as a borough, as a community that we really are paying attention.”

Good for Darby Borough.

Does it still have problems? You bet. It also has 57 less guns on its streets than it did last Friday.

How can that be anything other than a good development?

Comments